Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tropical mango strawberry cheesecake

Here's the recipe for the tropical cheesecake I mentioned in my previous post! Sorry about the photo, it really doesn't do this recipe justice. The mango layer actually has a gorgeous, deep yellow color. I just whipped this cake up 2 hours before the guests arrived and once it was all set and glazed, the guests were already there and I didn't feel right abandoning them just to get a perfect pic :)

The crust:
2 C almonds
1C sun-dried bananas
pinch of salt

Grind the nuts and dates in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. You may add water if the mixture doesn't stick together. Press onto a large tart pan or smaller individual tart molds.

Filling:
1 cups dried mango, soaked
0,5C fresh or canned organic mango (I could only find organic mango canned..)
1,5C macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1-2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup cacao butter
raw, unfiltered honey to taste (exact amount depends on the sweetness of your fruit)

Puree everything smooth except the cocoa butter, grate it in and blend to combine. Spread on top of the crust. I made two batches to get a higher cake (as opposed to a filled pie).

Strawberry glaze:
1C frozen strawberries, thawed
5 tbsp chia

Blend until the chia is gelatinized. I did not measure these out at all, I just took a container of frozen strawberries, thawed them and blended in as much chia as it took to get it to form a gel. There was plenty of left over glaze. Once the chia has set, spread evenly on top of the mango layer. If you have fresh strawberries at hand don't bother with this, just garnish the cake with the chopped berries!

I think most of my guests were used to a white flour+ sugar cake with tons of whipped cream. They all said this certainly was new to them, but then asked for seconds and raved about how delicious it was. I was a bit worried about the perhaps unusual flavor combination (at least to most Finns), but since I am such a mango fan I decided to go ahead with it.. after all, this was my graduation cake! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks and sounds amazing! I am also a mango fan, but being far from local I don't use it that much :( BTW, Ruohonjuuri sells fresh organic mangos.

Unknown said...

Just discovered your blog while I was searching for raw tiramisu recipes (yours looks great!) and went back and skimmed through all your posts. Such wonderful experimentation! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous food. :)

Ricky and Chantel Suaava said...

oh my gosh im so going to try that yum