Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blueberry tartlets


Blueberry pie in my mind is associated with numerous happy memories of my childhood. After discovering what gluten does to me and gradually finding out more and more about nutrition, I've been looking for a raw substitute for this comforting pie. There are some out there I've tried and tested, but none of them matched my idea of blueberry pie. Somehow the filling has always been either too tart, too liquid, too banana-flavored or a combination of these. I finally just sat down to think how I would make raw blueberry pie without the influence of any other recipes. This is what went into by food processor:

Blueberry crumble tartlets:
6 large tartlets

Crust:
1/2 C sprouted buckwheat groats
1/2 C dry almonds (ideally sprouted and dehydrated)
10 dried dates
4 tbsp coconut oil
0,5-1 tsp cinnamon
vanilla

Grind almonds and buckwheat, add other ingredients. Process until a uniform, thick mixture. Press into the edges of 6 non-stick cupcake molds/tartlet shells. You could make more smaller ones, the six are kind of big. Allow to chill in the fridge for about an hour, to firm up the crust.

Blueberry filling:
1 C blueberries (mine were frozen & thawed)
6-10 dried figs
small handful of pecans
vanilla agave, to taste (or vanilla + sweetener of choice)
2 tsp lucuma

Process in a food processor until a thick paste. I left mine a bit chunky, because I liked the little bits of fig in the filling. Once the pie crusts have set, take them out of the molds and scoop in the filling.

Crumble topping:
Almonds
Shredded, unsulfured coconut flakes
Touch honey
Cinnamon
(pinch himalayan salt)

Grind coconut and almonds until crumbly, mix with spices and sprinkle on the tartlets. Place back in the fridge until it's time to eat. Enjoy with someone special.

Sadly our old faithful Bosch food processor has seen better days. Some blades are broken and especially the broken grater blade is a pain. I love grated sweet potato and carrot salads, and now having to do all the work by hand kind of kills the buzz.. Luckily an elf tipped me off and hinted that Santa may be bringing a 950W food processor our way. Thumbs crossed!

Speaking of new amazing kitchen appliances, I have yet to receive our new Stöckli dehydrator. Man am I looking forward to it's arrival. There are so many ideas I have been playing with that I could finally execute with these gadgets... well, we'll just have to wait and see. As you can see from the pic, the new camera (Canon EOS 500d) is here, so once those missing appliances arrive nothing can limit my creativity :)

Meanwhile, stay tuned for my daughter's 1st b-day post. There will be a raw cake and some tips for planning a party with guests who eat (un-)normal food. This will be the first I am hosting, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the feedback. Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! Blueberry is such a nice wonderful ingredient.

Aletheia said...

Okriina, thanks :) And a domestic product packed with nutrients! Proves that healthy food really does taste delicious.

Meri, Helsinki said...

Heiii Aletheia

ja kiitos kaikista ihanista ohjeista! Tulin vaan kertomaan, että postasin Monkeyfoodiin ohjeitasi ja kerroin kyllä, että ovat sinulta peräisin, linkitinkin. Toivottavasti ok.

Erityisesti puolukkabrowniet ovat käsittämätön herkku!

Aletheia said...

Voi kiitos muikea muuli, mukavaa että ohjeistani on ollut iloa. Mukavaa myös että linkitit ja kehuit, ei kai siitä voi kun ilahtua!

Jael said...

Blueberry is such a lovely berry! Luckinly I can find it here too,albeit in a frozen form...
Your pie sounds very tasty!

Nice new banner picture and hopefully Santa will bring you a new food processor...

Aletheia said...

Well frozen is all we get in the winter time either.. Then there is always the freeze-dried option, which is great nutritionally but not in a pie-making sort of way. :)

Thanks for the compliments, let's hope that he (aka mother-in-law) will get one of those my way. It really is miserable without a proper food processor, but fortunately my blender can still grind and mix stuff.